Harold

Boeschenstein

Inducted 1975

Share:

Harold Boeschenstein, was a pioneer in research and development of fibrous glass production and use, the first president of Owens-Corning Fiberglas (1938-1963), board chairman (1963-1971) and initiator of the first commercial glass fiber-reinforced plastics program in 1942.

Mr. Boeschenstein was a Toledo, Ohio glass company executive since 1929, when he joined the Illinois Glass Company. He was soon named vice president and general manager of Illinois Glass Company. Now Owens-Illinois Corporation, the company was formed by the merger of Illinois Glass Co. and Owens-Bottle Co. Boeschenstein moved through various positions at Owens-Illinois, and in 1938 became the first president of the newly formed Owens-Corning Fiberglas Corporation.

Mr. Boeschenstein later became the firm`s first chairman of the board. He retired as chairman in October 1967, but continued on as a director until 1971, at which time was named honorary chairman of the board, and chairman of the executive committee. In addition to serving on the boards of numerous corporations, Mr. Boeschenstein also served the U.S. Government in various capacities in the administrations of six presidents. During World War II, Mr. Boeschenstein was vice chairman for operations of the War Production Board. He received the President`s Medal for Merit in 1946 for this service. Mr. Boeschenstein was selected in 1957 by Forbes Magazine as one of the country`s 50 foremost business leaders.

Areas of Expertise:

Plastics processing, Plastics business management

More Plastics Hall of Fame Members

View More